Saturday, October 24, 2009

Saturday 10-24-2009

Okay, today is day one - well sort of. It's actually the day of planning for next weeks activities - and the day of cleaning my house!!

I have gotten Glenn to agree to get up with me 3x each week at 5am so that he can be my time keeper. With the C25k program, intervals are important steps that you have to keep up with and since I hate the music on the podcasts and am not tech savvy enough to make my own (nor do I wish to learn), my darling Pookie-Pooh will set up his chair, coffee and newspaper and keep time for me. He doesn't really like the idea of me running alone in the darkness and wee hours of the morning anyway - besides maybe I can get him to join along eventually...we'll have to see about that...

My first 5k was in May - I weighed about 270 and walked it in 58 min 16 sec. My 2nd 5k is November 14 - My weight today is 255 and my goal is to do a combo run/walk to finish the race in 45 min.

It's not going to be an easy road - loosing 100+ pounds is never fast or easy - but it is doable. Let's see if I can do it, shall we?

Peace and Love, CFS

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a plan and a partner--two things that have been beneficial to me.

    I agree about the podcasts. I didn't like 98% of the music. I just turned the podcast way down and I found I could still hear the pace change announcements. If someone were to re-create the podcasts, I'm sure they would be a big hit.

    If you ever get to that point during the intervals where you feel like you just cant get through it, try this: convince yourself to get through at least the next segment. If you feel like quitting when going through that one, try it again. I've found that most of the battle is in my mind and that my body (so long as I'm not trying to do too much, too fast, too soon) can handle far more than I expect it to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if you are really off to a great start. And I agree with Fatman Running. You have a plan and a partner. Two very important things to have on this journey. This world of fellow bloggers has also helped me out a lot.
    One tip I have for when the running gets tough is to count in in my head. Sort of in time with the breaths. First count 1 to 5, then 1 to 10, then 1 to 15, and so on until you lose count. Which usually happens for me at around 40 or so. I find this really helps me out on the hilly parts!

    I also have a couple of really great books on running I could recommend if you're interested!

    Keep up the good work, you're doing great!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I found that counting actually worked against me (though I was just counting straight through). I knew how many steps I was making each minute (my counting would always seem to get in cadence with my running), so I always could tell about how much time I had left, and that was misery. The podcasts were really helpful to me.

    Something that I did learn to do to keep my mind and body engaged in the tough stretches is to change things up just a bit. I may move to another side of the trail, or concentrate on speeding up just a little bit until I cross a specific shadow, then slowing a bit until another one. Those little games, like your counting, keep my mind from screaming "What are we doing! We haven't stopped yet!"

    As time has gone one, I've found that I can run much longer than I ever imagined. My first 5k is coming up this Saturday, and I'm looking forward to finishing the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a long time since you posted. I hope you haven't given up. I'm back to running after taking a six month break while I finished grad school. Come on, let us know what's going on!

    ReplyDelete